Water skiing is a very exciting sport, but it requires practice, the patience to learn, and of course, the right skis. The first surprise with water skis is the different types and classes of skis available. This variety could be overwhelming for the novice water skier, but with this top 10 water skis guide for 2017, you get a list of the best water skis, as well as a buying guide.
Understanding Skier Levels
Due to the complexity of water skiing, there are many levels that skiers can be grouped into, depending on how skillful they are.
• First Timers – These are people who ski a few times a year.
• Novices – These are those who have started learning slalom skiing.
• Intermediates – These are between novices and advanced skiers.
• Advanced Skiers – These are experts, including those who compete professionally.
- Water Skis Buying Guide
- 10. Absolute Outdoor Full Throttle 68-Inch Combination Skis
- 9. HO Sports Recreation Blast Combo Water Skis
- 8. Airhead AHS-900 Combo Water Skis
- 7. CWB Supersport Combination Water Skis
- 6. Radar Skis 2017 Senate Water Ski
- 5. Rave Pure Adult Combos Water Skis
- 4. CWB Connelly Aspect 2017 Slalom Water Ski
- 3. HO Sports HO Burner 67-Inch 2017 Combo Water Skis
- 2. O’Brien Performer Pro 68-Inch Combo Water Skis
- 1. Hydro Slide 66-Inch Adult Victory Combo Water Skis
Water Skis Buying Guide
When deciding on which water skis to purchase, you will be able to make a good decision, if you understand the important features in a pair of water skis. They include:
– Skier Type
As outlined above in skier levels, your skill level determines the type of skis that you will have to purchase. As a first timer, you will need a bigger set of combination skis to keep you more balanced on the water. With time, you can graduate to single slalom skis, which are narrower, shorter, or both.
– Skiing Speed & Ski Size
Your skiing speed affects how well you sit on the water. If you ski at a slower speed, then you will need skis with a wider surface area in order to sit on the water’s surface properly. A more advanced skier, who gets towed at speeds over 30 mph (50kph), can make do with narrower and less stiff skis.
– Your Weight & Ski Size
Weight is another factor that should be considered when deciding on which skis to purchase. Just as with speed, the heavier you are, the wider and longer the skis that you’ll be needing. 65 inches long skis are for example, perfect for skier weights up to 160 lbs. For heavier individuals up to 280 lbs., 71-inch skis should be sufficient.
– Combo, Slalom & Trick Water Skis
The 3 major types of water skis are combo skis, which is a combination of 2 skis. Slalom skis, which are just one single ski with 2 bindings, are usually narrower. The third group is trick skis, which are wide and short, and designed for performing tricks on the water.
10. Absolute Outdoor Full Throttle 68-Inch Combination Skis
This pair of Full Throttle 68-inch traditional combo water skis is designed to universally fit skiers of all levels. Available with a 68-inch length and in blue, these skis are steel-reinforced for added strength. They are also injection molded to make them stable and durable. Each ski also features a concave bottom, beveled edges and a tapered tail to allow easier turns.
• 68 inches in length
• Steel reinforced for extra strength
• Fits men’s shoe sizes between 6 & 12
• Perfect for all skier levels
• Beveled edges, tapered tail, concave bottom
9. HO Sports Recreation Blast Combo Water Skis
HO Sports Blast combo water skis are designed to help beginners to fall in love with water skiing. Featuring a wide shape for easy deep water starts, and a V-bottom for stable tracking, these skis combine all possible features to create a truly helpful, beginner ski-set. The set is available in 3 lengths. 59 inches for skiers weighing up to 55kg, 63 inches for up to 70 kg, and 67-inch long boards for skiers 65kg and upwards.
• V-bottom design for stability
• Perfect for beginners
• Wide design for easier deep water starts
• Available in 3 sizes
8. Airhead AHS-900 Combo Water Skis
Airheads AHS-900 is a 54-inch long combo ski set. Featuring a trendy and cool artwork, the skis are designed as a safe and helpful pair of water skis to teach first timers. Their wide design makes deep water starts easier, while the included and removable crossbar makes the ‘first time’ as comfortable as possible. Those wide tips are also great for jumping wakes. The skis core is made from a composite and foam combination. There are Nylon fins as well, which are reinforced with fiberglass, for better tracking.
• Includes a removable crossbar for first-timers
• Wide design is perfect for teaching beginners to deep water start and stand up
• Includes fins made from fiberglass reinforced Nylon
• Bindings fit US sizes 2 to 9
7. CWB Supersport Combination Water Skis
The Connelly CWB Supersport combo water skis are designed for lightweight first-timers and novices. Made from reinforced composite, this ski set is a downsized copy of Connelly’s Pilot Slalom skis, which are a huge success. This combo includes a stabilizer bar for mastering deep water starts, and Connelly’s proprietary tracking system. The adjustable bindings will fit sizes 2 to 9, the skis are 54 inches long and designed for skiers up to 125 lbs. in weight.
• Made from reinforced composite for maximum durability
• Features Nylon fins filled with glass
• Bindings are side-adjustable
• Removable stabilizer bar for learners
6. Radar Skis 2017 Senate Water Ski
The Radar Skis Alloy Senate water ski, is a very popular ski. Designed for advanced skiers who know what they want, this ski is available in 4 sizes, including 65, 67, 69 and 71 inches. It is designed for a maximum speed of about 34 mph, features 100% carbon fiber laminate, plus an all-terrain core material that is specifically designed for this model. Radar skis makes it available in either red or blue, and it is guaranteed to make your slaloms unforgettable.
• 100% carbon laminate
• Features an all-terrain core
• Includes a precision fin system for excellence
• Available in 4 sizes
5. Rave Pure Adult Combos Water Skis
These Rave Pure Adult combo skis are distinctive because of their square noses and narrow fins. They are made from RIM molded Polyurethane material, with a plastic laminate top. They are also reinforced using fiberglass rods. These skis also feature soft, double density and adjustable slide bindings for comfort, plus a stiffer outer membrane to support the ankles. They are 67 inches (170 cm) in length, and can be used by both men or women. The set is supported by a 90-day warranty.
• Double density and adjustable slide binding
• Soft step inserts
• Designed for adult skiers over 125 lbs.
• 67-inch (170cm) length
4. CWB Connelly Aspect 2017 Slalom Water Ski
Featuring swerve bindings and an owner’s manual, this men’s ski from Connelly is designed for those who want maximum fun at lower speeds. It’s wider frame allows for good performance between 28 and 32 mph, while its sharp bevels support more aggressive turns. It is made using a polyurethane resin core, plus a fiberglass wrap which makes it extremely durable. This ski is available in 65-, 67- and 69-inch lengths, designed for skiers between 180 to 220 lbs.
• Unique and efficient design
• Wrapped in strong fiberglass
• Provides smooth rides for all skier levels
• Features Connelly swerve bindings
3. HO Sports HO Burner 67-Inch 2017 Combo Water Skis
Whether you are an adult beginner on 2 skis or an advanced skier, who wants to practice some slalom water-skiing, these skis will prove their worth. It’s 67-inch length plus free-ride burner shape maximizes your slalom performance. A V-bottom design offers stability and more ease while turning. These skis also feature freeMAX, which is a 2-lace binding that allows for shoe sizes between 7 and 11.
• Top of the line skis
• Use as a pair or as slalom skis
• 2 lace binding fits shoe sizes 7 – 11
• V-bottom design maximizes stability and smooth cuts
2. O’Brien Performer Pro 68-Inch Combo Water Skis
The O’Brien Performer Pro is perfect for all members of the family. Made from a composite construction for maximum durability, and featuring aluminum fins, these 68-inch long skis are easy and fun to use. O’Brien’s Performer Pro is designed for expert slalom skiers and beginners alike. You can use them as a pair, or a single ski for some fun, slalom water-skiing. The featured X-9 bindings fit nearly all shoe sizes, allowing for most members of the family to catch their fun on these top of the line skis.
• X-9 lace bindings fits shoe sizes from 7 to 13
• Features aluminum flush mount fin
• Aluminum fin enables easier tracking
• Guaranteed fun for every member of the family
1. Hydro Slide 66-Inch Adult Victory Combo Water Skis
Hydro Slide’s 66-inch water skis are designed for the adult water-skiing enthusiast. These skis make it easy to get up and enjoy a smooth ride, with the tunnel concave bottom of the skis increasing directional stability. One of the skis comes with a slalom toe, allowing for a single ski, slalom session. There are slide adjustable bindings, and drop-through plastic fins for stability. Ample surface area and a round nose makes starts easier, and these 168cm (66 inches) long skis are designed for skiers over 120 lbs. in weight.
• Features slide adjustable bindings
• Bottom is tunnel concave shaped
• Features drop-through plastic fins
• Round nose and large surface for easier starts
We have run through this top 10 water skis list for 2017, and it is obvious that they are all great skis. Still, the final choice is yours to make. We have given you our number #1 recommendation, but you could be buying for the kids, or need something very feminine, your choice to make.